I found in a book that quā ... qua means on the one hand ... on the other hand, but I found no example.

Could you please provide a simple example?

Should a specific mood be used (subjunctive or indicative)?

Is there another conjunction to express that?

• Perhaps "non solum ... sed etiam ...", though the meaning is not quite the same. Greek would use "men ... de ...". – MPW May 17 '18 at 13:18
  • ... and on the gripping hand, ... – David Richerby May 17 '18 at 13:20
  • @DavidRicherby : The OTHER other hand, eh? – MPW May 17 '18 at 13:22
    My immediate thought also was men…de and it took me a minute to realize that wasn't Latin. – Draconis May 17 '18 at 16:24

.A. If there is a contrast of 'activity,' use hīc, illic; for example ‘to go or to stay,’ hīc abire, illic manere.
If there is a contrast of ‘groups’ then hic, haec, hoc, and ille, illa, illud, as in this example from Cicero:

ergo ut hi miseri, sic illi contra beati.
accordingly, as on the one hand these are wretched, so on the other these are happy.

If, by any chance, you mean literally on the one hand...on the other/ on this side...on the other
Ex hac parte... ex alia parte...

Ezekiel 41;19 faciem hominis iuxta palmam ex hac parte et faciem leonis iuxta palmam ex alia parte expressam per omnem domum in circuitu."
the face of a man next to a palm on this side and the face of a lion next to a palm on the other side portrayed throughout the house all round.

.B. If there is no real contrast, et...et would be suitable. If there are several 'on the other hand's, then the following example from the Surtees Society publication on Finchale Priory for 1331 (p.xiv) is better.
Imprimis..., item..., item... also with indicative.

Inprimis, apud Fynchal vj equi. Item xij boves. Item xvj porci. Item de frumento seminato xj qu. Item de pisis seminatis ij qu.

On the one hand, at Fynchale six horses. On the other hand twelve oxen. Then sixteen pigs. Then eleven qu. of wheat for sowing. Then two qu. of peas for sowing.

Indicative for statements; or direct questions. But maybe not if the alternatives are possible or hypothetical.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.