The Hellenistic era was launched by Alexander the Great, and his death is usually defined as the starting point. The Greek word Hellenes (Ἕλληνες) was in use before, during, and after the Hellenistic era as far as I can tell. I wonder whether Alexander's conquests and the onset of the Hellenistic era had an effect on the meaning of the Greek word itself. Was there a change in meaning from the time before Alexander to the time after him in the meaning of Ἕλληνες or related words?

bumped to the homepage by Community yesterday

This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.

This is a very interesting question and I hope a more erudite scholar will be able to answer it in detail. My impression was always that the "real" Greeks in Philip's time considered the Macedonians to be not Greek at all, being too tribal to be worth consideration. That fits Alexander into the same pattern as Napoleon (who was not French) and Hitler (who was not German). – Martin Kochanski Jun 19 at 6:21
    cf. "from Hesiod the name of Hellenes then became the customary name for all Greeks." Gschnitzer, Fritz (Heidelberg), “Hellas”, in: Brill’s New Pauly. – Alex B. 16 hours ago

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.