I was recently working on a little translation project and my intuition and memory suggested that "evening comes" is vesperescit. Checking dictionaries corrected me: it is vesperascit instead. Why is that? Should I have been able to guess that there is an -a- instead of an -e- before the incohative -sc-?

More generally, what determines the vowel before the incohative -sc-? My understanding was that if no vowel is already there (assuming my verb comes from vesper instead of vespera), one should expect an -e-. There is clearly a hole in my intuition when it comes to the incohative derivatives.

Will include this in a more complete answer I haven’t the time to write now: for now, let me cite from S. Isidori, Hispalensis episcopi... Opera omnia, denuo correcta et aucta: 608: inter Vesperescit et Vesperascit: vesperescit, id est sero fit, vesperascit, sol ad occasum declinat. – Dario Apr 20 '18 at 5:39
  • @Dario That sounds very promising! I look forward to a comparison of the two verbs. – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 20 '18 at 19:40
  • I've just remembered obliviscor. – Hugh Apr 20 '18 at 20:01
    @Hugh It would be unfortunate for that verb to go to oblivion. – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 20 '18 at 20:54

vesper (m.) occurs both as an -o stem (gen. vesperi) and as a consonant stem (gen. vesperis), and then there is the -ā stem vespera (fem.) with the same meaning. The verb vesperasco is formed from the latter.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.