What would be the best Latin word(s) for "career", to be used together with a specification such as "academic", "military", or "industrial"? The Roman phrase cursus honorum might refer too specifically to the sequence of public offices (perhaps closer to "political career" than "career"), but that is up to debate. Another related concept, curriculum vitae, refers to a specific kind of document, not the career itself. The most suitable words I could think of are curriculum, decursus, and cursus, but I may be missing some good options.

I am currently inclined towards cursus academicus/militaris/industrialis. (I don't know whether industria is a good word for "industry". If anyone is interested, please take it to a separate question. You can also ask and answer yourself!) What do you suggest for "career" and why?

• In my case procursus would fit. 'the milling about before a race begins.' Still, it's a bit late for that. – Hugh Apr 16 '18 at 14:42
    Research lead: cursus vitae, is it different to curriculum vitae at all? See meaning II of cursus – Rafael Apr 16 '18 at 20:58
  • @Rafael That sounds excellent! It is different from curriculum vitae in the important way that it's not a set phrase used in a number of languages. CV is too prone to misunderstanding, but cursus vitae doesn't suffer from that. Would you like to write that up as an answer? (I did read your meta question on the matter.) – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 17 '18 at 5:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.