I found this prescription in which the word "Scat." is found. What does this abbreviation stand for?

I've tried googling, and I found that in Latin there is a word "scatula" which means box. I'm not sure if this word stands for this abbreviation. Normally, many prescription structures don't use this word, but "D.t.d" (detur talis dosis) exactly in the place of "D. Scat.".

enter image description here

In a word, yes.

D.scat. means detur scatula (“let a box be given”) just like the following S. means signetur or scribatur (“let the following be prescribed”). It is also possible to interpret them as imperatives addressing the chemist: Da!, Signa!, ...

Googling yielded this informative document from a Bulgarian University which clarifies all Latin abbreviations traditionally used in medical prescriptions. In Italy, and I’d bet in many other Western countries, such abbreviations are not used any more. Apparently, this is not the case for other parts of the world.

Tibi gratulor, quod iam mille puncta tulisti! – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 8 '18 at 16:35
    @JoonasIlmavirta Ego quidem huic collegio pro doctissimis laetissimisque disceptationibus toto corde gratias ago. – Dario Apr 9 '18 at 23:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.