I'm interested in getting a Latin translation of the following: "The way forward is the way through." (Think of having to overcome a difficulty — to move forward you have to go through the difficulty.)

I came up with est via deinceps quod est via per but I feel like this is not correct.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Welcome to the site! I hope you will register your account and take a look at our tour. Now that you got a couple of votes for a good question, you earned some privileges like voting. Most importantly, I hope you find the site useful and stick around for more questions. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 26 '18 at 22:54

How about prodire est transire, "to go forward is to go through"? Instead of "way", I used the verb ire, which I think fits nicely. You should check whether prodire and transire sounds suitable either using the links or picking any of the many online Latin dictionaries.

It would be tempting to translate "to go through" as perire, but this verb actually means "to die", "to perish", and similar.

Your translation suggestion sounds much like Google Translate, and it is horrible for Latin. A far more reliable way to come up with mottoes in Latin is to find two words in an actual Latin dictionary and translate "X is Y" as X est Y. And of course the best option of all is to ask on this site…

Yes. Google Translate and Latin left me uninspired to say the least. Thank you for your motto creation suggestion. – John Mar 27 '18 at 19:04
  • @John I'm glad to be able to help! – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 27 '18 at 19:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.