My wife and I have built a forever home on 25 acres just outside a small country town (population approximately 8000) in Australia. We have joked over the years that we are doing this because we are hermits or reclusive. I would like to have the property signposted as "Hermit Farm" in Latin, probably in the form of a farm that produces hermits, as a farm might produce wheat or pigs. So far the best fit seems to be "Villa Eremita" or "Eremita Agellus", but the former seems to suggest a grand country estate, whereas the latter just a small field. I'm tending towards the former as it is more recognisable, but could anyone suggest which would be the best translation or perhaps a better alternative?

Eremita is correct for hermit, and the most appropriate word for farm is fundus. You need to use a possessive after 'farm', as in 'Farm of Hermits', which gives us Fundus Eremitarum.

Villa Eremitarum would be fine, but is very posh.

[Orwell's novella Animal Farm has similarly been translated as Fundus Animalium.]

| improve this answer | |
  • Tom, thank you very much for that answer - its perfect. Having the Latin title of Animal Farm to uses as a reference to cite to curious friends is a fantastic bonus too. I note you are the author of that and other books, which is just amazing to me, so we'll put a little acknowledgement on our sign of your authorship. – arcadelt Mar 8 '18 at 7:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.