Does the phrase orbis terrarum reflect Ancient Roman knowledge that the Earth is a sphere?

Some kinds of evidence that might suggest an answer: Did people say orbis terrarum for the world before they knew that the Earth is spherical? Does orbis in this sense (meaning the world, without terrarum) suggest a sphere, or does it only suggest a circle?

The knowledge that it was spherical predates Classical Latin, though I'm not sure how widespread it was. I wonder when the oldest attestations of orbis terrārum are… – Draconis Feb 28 '18 at 5:12
  • Even if not, orbis could refer to the celestial sphere, since terrarum is genitive – Rafael Feb 28 '18 at 12:27
  • @Draconis. Orbis terrarum (or terrae) was used by Cicero. – fdb Feb 28 '18 at 14:51
    @fdb True, but isn't Cicero just about the epitome of Classical? Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth around 240 BC, so the idea of a spherical earth must have been fairly widespread by that point. And Plato said it was a sphere significantly earlier. – Draconis Feb 28 '18 at 19:36
    @Draconis. Everyone knew that the earth is a sphere. I did not wish to imply anything other. – fdb Feb 28 '18 at 20:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.