If I want to use the verb revertere/reverti transitively (with an object different from the subject), should I choose active or passive forms? Intuition suggests that active forms are preferred for transitive use, but if the verb is deponent, this does not necessarily apply. The examples in L&S for reverti seem all intransitive and the entry for revertere doesn't help much. Or is the answer that this verb is intransitive and I cannot say hanc rem reverto at all?

It seems that the key questions are:

1. Can the verb be used transitively?
  2. Is it deponent?

This question arose from an answer to a question regarding the verb "undelete". I would like to describe turning something back into an earlier state. If you have ideas for expressing that, please answer the linked question.

• Castiglioni-Mariotti: "In gener. le forme attive si trovano al perf. e tempi derivati; le dep. al pres., imperf., fut." – Alex B. Feb 22 '18 at 5:36
  • @AlexB. Quella sarebbe una buona risposta. Vuoi scriverla? – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 22 '18 at 10:52

The OLD says the following:

"usu. dep. in pres. system, active in pf. system. Dep. pf. mostly post-Augustan."

enter image description here

Thanks! I addition, the entry seems to say "intr[ansitive]". That with the description of deponency makes a very complete answer. (I'll wait a bit before accepting, to see if your or others have something to add.) – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 24 '18 at 10:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.