In the Stack Exchange network questions, answers, and comments can be undeleted. What would be a good Latin verb for "undelete" in this context? To "delete" is naturally delere, but I see no good way to prefix it into anything understandable. The best option I could think of is restituere. Is this the best choice? Are there other good verbs for bringing something back to existence?

I'd think of reverti "to bring back".

BTW, undelete is very idiomatic English and cannot be translated in a 1-to-1-fashion to many other languages. In German user interfaces the word rückgängig ist used (from rückgängig machen, for English back-translations see e.g., this dictionary.

• If the verb is used for undeleting instead of being undeleted (the subject being a user, not a post), shouldn't it be revertere instead of reverti? – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 19 '18 at 15:50
  • I thought it was mainly used as a deponens and not in the formally active forms. – jknappen Feb 19 '18 at 15:59
    Hmm... It's possible, but it sounds a little weird at first. Comparing revertere and reverti calls for a follow-up question. Whichever form is preferred for this use, I agree that this is a good verb. – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 19 '18 at 16:06
  • The answer to my follow-up question indicates that reverti is intransitive, so it can't be used to for undeleting a post on a SE site. It is a good verb for the post being undeleted, though. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 4 '18 at 20:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.