I'm struggling to read a couple of words in a manuscript.[1]

00000003.jpg

This is what I've managed so far:

1446 Exitus Acta Probat 

Johannes de Herzelles [aliarn ???]
    [sedim ???] Cappellany

Any idea what the two missing words are, and what they might mean ?

Notes

1. MS Kassel, Murhardsche Bibliothek der Stadt und Landesbibliothek 4o med
    I'm more familiar with older (XII and XIII c.) paleography: I'm tempted to transcribe "Iohannis de Herzelles <et?> aliarum sedium Cappellany," but I'm not sure if you could refer to an academic "chair" in that way at that time. Is the MS available online? The next pages might give further clues. – brianpck Feb 15 '18 at 14:01
  • Thanks for the suggestion. The MS is unfortunately not available online. The description is here. The rest of the MS is composed of medicinal, plague texts, astrological texts, a culinary text, and a health regimen which he compiled for his household's use. There is a small amount of Latin but the texts are mostly vernacular (Picard). The main questions are: (1) is this guy a chaplain? (2) could it be two people (e.g. Iohannis and a chaplain)? (3) could a chaplaincy be described as a chair? – F. Tyers Feb 16 '18 at 15:38
    Actually, it is available online: orka.bibliothek.uni-kassel.de/viewer/image/1297331763218/1 – cnread Feb 17 '18 at 2:30

Have you seen this book?

FWIW

Scully, Terence. 1997. The vivendier: a critical edition with English translation. Totnes, Devon, England: Prospect Books.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • This is really useful, but do you know what it might mean? – F. Tyers Feb 20 '18 at 13:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.