Consider the sentence, "prope virum summae virtutis sto." What case is virtutis and why?

I'm pretty sure that it is genitive due to description, but I'm not sure. In case it helps, I translated it as, "I stood near the man with the most courage."

It is indeed genitive. First, no other form of virtus looks like virtutis. For that reason alone, it has to be genitive.

But what is the genitive doing in the sentence? The virtus comes with the adjective summa. Virtus can have many meanings, and "courage" is indeed a possible translation. Together summa virtus means "highest courage". Therefore vir summae virtutis means "a man of the highest courage".

While this translation is possible in English, it often most natural to translate with an adjective: "a very courageous man". Your translation "with the most courage" is possible as well. It should be noted that the superlative here is probably absolute; it does not express comparison ("most courageous of all") but just extent ("very courageous").

This Latin construction of using the genitive to express quality is known as genetivus qualitatis (the qualitative genitive). The ablative can be used similarly.

Finally, let me remark that sto is present tense. I would translate the sentence to English as "I stand near a very courageous man". However, this is not the correct translation — there are several ways to go about this translation task.

| improve this answer | |
  • @Zanolon I'm glad to be able to help! I hope you'll stick around and ask more questions (and take a look at our tour if you haven't yet). – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 30 '18 at 1:47
    Thanks so much. I'm really not great at latin so I assume I'll be making frequent stops by. ^_^ – BlackCoffee Jan 30 '18 at 1:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.