There is a contraction from the regular visne to vin. Is the same contraction with -ne attested with other verbs in classical Latin? I don't recall seeing questions like loquerin Latine or haben equum or en Graecus. (Here *en < esne; I'm not referring to en ≈ ecce.) Is the phenomenon unique to velle?

• I recall reading both sciesne and scin, but at least one of them in a modern translation (I think Harrius Potter et philosophi lapis.) – Rafael Jan 28 '18 at 17:48

Weiss writes that

"The interrogative enclitic particle -ne becomes -n in Plautus when apocope produces an acceptable coda" (p. 147, footnote 79), i.e. *-Vsn- > *-V ̅n- (I.B.8.b, p. 169).

He gives the following examples:

scivin (Pseud. 977), vin (Curc. 313).

He also says that "[v]erbal forms ending in -s often lose the s with compensatory lengthening" (p. 147, footnote 79), e.g. nostin (found in Terrence and Plautus).

More examples from "Syntax and Stilistik" (Szantyr et al. 1965/2016):

ain (from ais-ne), audin, censen, pergin, scin, viden, vin (p. 461).

• The macron over the V doesn't seem to render well for me. Perhaps V&#772; or V&#x304; would be better? I don't know how others see all these characters. I just posted a solution to the macron question that works with any letter. – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 2 '18 at 16:04

I know of 2 others off the top of my head.

• satin from satisne

Plautus, Amphitruo 604:

quas, malum, nugas? satin tu sanus es?

Cicero, De officiis 3.73:

quid ergo? satin est hoc, ut non deliquisse videantur?

• scin from scisne, mentioned by Rafael in a comment

Plautus, Amphitruo 671:

scin quam bono animo sim?

Cicero, Epistulae ad Atticum 1.13.4:

tuus autem ille amicus (scin quem dicam? de quo tu ad me scripsisti, postea quam non auderet reprehendere laudare coepisse) nos, ut ostendit, admodum diligit, amplectitur, amat, aperte laudat, occulte, sed ita ut perspicuum sit, invidet.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.