For some reason I was looking through my older notes on Latin translations and saw that Gloria worked as a translation for Butterfly.

I've been looking all through the net to confirm my suspicions but have stumbled across nothing so far.

With that said, is Gloria another term for Butterfly or is there any other Latin term for Butterfly?

Do scientific names count? – Rafael Jan 23 '18 at 18:47
  • @Rafael seems good! – slsl3079 Jan 23 '18 at 22:56
    Do you have the actual citation for this use of gloria? All references to butterflies that I can find in the corpus use only papilio and so I wondered if your notes were perhaps a reference to some sort of metaphor, rather than an actual synonym for butterfly. Phaedrus, for example, has a fable about a butterfly and a wasp which could conceivably be about former glory and/or boastfulness. More explicitly, other, later authors would compare vain and proud people to butterflies. – Penelope Jan 24 '18 at 1:57
  • I checked around and it seems like I don't have anything listed regarding this - I am curious about the fable you mention though @Penelope – slsl3079 Jan 26 '18 at 0:33
    Here you go :) mythfolklore.net/aesopica/oxford/199.htm – Penelope Jan 26 '18 at 2:36

Vergil Georg. IV 205, speaking not of butterflies but of honey bees, mentions their tantus amor florum et generandi gloria mellis. Is there perhaps a confusion of the species?

it seems more and more likely that I must have been confused when writing Gloria in regards to butterflies, thanks for the mention about bees – slsl3079 Jan 26 '18 at 0:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.