I recently read a booklet called "Wolmar Schildt — sata uudissanaa" which is built around a list of a hundred neologisms by Wolmar Schildt (1810–1893), one of the most active promoters of Finnish language of his era. Among these neologisms (in addition to the word "neologism" itself, "uudissana") is the verb "sisustaa". Translations are provided to a couple of languages, and in English it is aptly rendered as "furnish", in the sense of placing furniture in an apartment.

The Latin translation provided is instruere, but I'm not convinced. Lewis and Short give "furnish" in the sense of preparation, not in the sense of interior decoration, unless I'm mistaken. Is there a classical Latin verb (perhaps supported by a noun or two) for furnishing which is attested in the sense of interior decoration or acquisition of furniture?

Instruo is perfectly all right. An alternative is orno, or a derivative (exorno, adorno), similar in meaning to instruo, 'to fit out or 'equip', though it lacks the latter's notion of 'set in order'. Cicero (Verr. II, 2, 84) has . . . . angebatur animi necessario quod domum eius exornatam et instructam . . . ., which is a bit like 'having your cake and eating it', as we say.

Otherwise, the general word for furniture in this context, sc. the permanent, physical stuff — 'goods and chattels' is the English expression — is supellex, -ectilis. You might feel more comfortable in writing supellectilem instruere or ponere if you need to exclude the idea of decoration implied by orno.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.