Lewis & Short often use the abbreviation collat., standing for collateral according to the appendix of abbreviations. An example:

ŭtĕrus, i, m. (collat. form ŭter, Caecil. ap. Non. 188, 15; neutr. collat. form ŭtĕ-rum, i, Plaut. Aul. 4, 7, 10, acc. to Non. 229, 33; Turp. and Afran. ib.) [Sanscr. uttara, later; Gr. ὕστερος; cf. Gr. ὑστέρα, womb; Sanscr. udaram, belly; Engl. udder], the womb, matrix (syn. volva).

It is often used for the form of some word. I suspect it simply means "alternative". But the English word itself can also mean "descended from the same stock, but in a different line" in family relations. So what does it mean?

Judging by examples, it seems to indeed mean "alternative". Etymology offers a reading of "collateral" that fits the context perfectly: Combining con and latus, one can form an adjective collateralis which means essentially "side by side". Compare with the plain lateralis in L&S. If two forms of a word are used side by side, they are alternatives to each other.

• That was also my reading. But I'm wondering whether some 'official' explanation or a source outside of L&S exists. – Cerberus Jan 6 '18 at 21:09
  • @Cerberus I would like to see something more official as well. The conclusion seems fairly evident, but a reliable description of the word or use in other dictionaries would make the case much stronger. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 6 '18 at 21:12

The Oxford new American dictionary defines as 'additional but subordinate; secondary: the collateral meanings of a word.'

As others have noted, “collateral” means “alternative” or “secondary”. Actually, this entry bears witness to the limitations of the venerable L/S. The references for the “collateral” uter are dubious (post-classical grammarians). Current etymological thinking is that uterus is certainly not cognate with uttara- or ὕστερος, nor with udder, though it is possibly cognate with Skt. udara-, with an inner-Latin shift of *-der- to -ter-. English udder belongs with Latin uber (IE -dh-).

• Interesting, is the supposed Latin shift of "der" to "ter" related to some sound change like dr > tr? I think I remember seeing that mentioned somewhere as a Latin sound change (e.g. books.google.com/…) , but I didn't realize it could happen even with an intermediate vowel between the d and r. – Asteroides Jan 7 '18 at 5:54
  • @sumelic. The etymological dictionaries (Walde, de Vaan) offer different versions of the idea that the voiceless -t- in uterus developed by analogy to a (hypothetical) syncopated stem *uderV > *udrV > *utrV . – fdb Jan 7 '18 at 10:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.