Is there a colorful Latin term for an uninvited guest? Of course I can say something like conviva non invitatus, but I wonder if there is something less boring, akin to the English "gatecrasher" or the Finnish "kuokkavieras" (lit. "mattock guest"). Does anyone know a suitable phrase?

I have just now stumbled upon an idiomatic word for an uninvited guest: umbra (see Lewis & Short, definition at I.B.3)

In a description of a disastrous dinner party, Horace mentions:

quos Maecenas adduxerat umbras

the uninvited guests that Maecenas had brought with him

Horace, Satires, 2.8.22

And in a dinner party invitation to Torquatus, Horace promises that:

locus est et pluribus umbris

there is room too for several uninvited guests

Horace, Epistles, 1.5.28

| improve this answer | |

I was sure that Catullus or Martial would be full of gate crashers - it seems like something they would love to mock. Alas, I couldn't find any!

I did find the following and it’s interesting to see that Macrobius’ use of inruere (“to fall with violence, rush down; to fall down”) in the following almost parallels the English sense of crashing a party:

tunc ille: ‘supervenire fabulis non evocatos haud equidem turpe existimatur, verum sponte inruere in convivium aliis praeparatum … ’

then he said: ‘For my part I think there’s nothing disgraceful for the uninvited to add to a conversation [already underway], but to willingly crash a party prepared for others [that’s not acceptable] …’

Macrobius, Saturnalia, 1.10

Note too his use of non evocatus for not invited, rather than non invitatus. I realise Macrobius is quite late but see also invocatus to mean uninvited, which is attested much earlier than Macrobius. Not a very interesting or colourful term, I admit.

Perhaps asymbolus would work, defined as not contributing anything to a party or meal. It’s from the Greek ἀσύμβολος, itself a reference to the custom of συμβολή, “contributions made to provide a common meal; … contribution, subscription to the expenses of a festival, etc.” This at least captures the free-loading character of the gate crasher if not explicitly referencing their lack of an invitation (because I guess someone could legitimately be at a dinner party yet still arrive empty-handed).

| improve this answer | |
  • I had to unaccept this one, since there was a more colorful suggestion in another answer. I hope you don't mind. ;) – Joonas Ilmavirta Dec 24 '17 at 9:52
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Not at all ;) – Penelope Dec 24 '17 at 10:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.