Inspired by this question from Joonas Ilmavirta, and the seemingly great response, I have decided to ask about a relevant operating system in my life: Windows. I have long detested the red squiggly lines under my Latin text in Microsoft Office. :) I have made slight progress with Word, for which I found a proofing language download for Latin, but it worked very poorly.

Any assistance on this front would be interesting to hear about, and it does not have to be a complete solution. Even if it is a proofing language for Word, I would be glad to hear about it!

It does not appear as if these types of questions have been deemed off-topic yet, but this is of course subject to change.

Would it be better to separate the two systems in different questions? Or do you expect that the same answers will be typically equally valid for both? – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 30 '17 at 2:25
    @JoonasIlmavirta I am just not expecting much of a response for the Apple side of things, and I don't want to clutter up the questions with a bunch of these types, so we will see what happens. – Sam K Nov 30 '17 at 2:36
  • True, it might be too much to ask many questions of this kind in one or two days. I sometimes plan questions in advance and spread the possibly controversial ones out. While there might not be many answers for Apple, it would still make sense as a separate question. Having a clear but unanswered question might attract the right kind of attention at some point. // I think we should really have a question about Latin spellcheckers for computers, including Word. I'm more satisfied with Latin on my phone than on my computer. – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 30 '17 at 3:27
    @JoonasIlmavirta I agree that this should be split up in two: Word and iOS are different cans of worms! – brianpck Nov 30 '17 at 3:51
  • @JoonasIlmavirta I will limit the question to just Windows then, as that is more pressing of the two in my opinion – Sam K Nov 30 '17 at 3:56

LibreOffice

If you want spellchecking for Latin, someone's made a pretty decent LibreOffice Latin spellcheck dictionary. And LibreOffice works on Linux, Window, and Mac, is open source, free, and awesome, so you should have it anyways.

After you install LibreOffice, follow these instructions to install the Latin spellcheck dictionary:

In LibreOffice, select Tools --> Extension Manager from the menu bar.

In the Extension Manager dialog click Add.

A file browser window opens. Navigate to the folder where you saved the LibreOffice extension file(s) on your system. The extension's files have the file extension 'OXT'.

Find and select the extension you want to install and click Open.

If this extension is already installed, you'll be prompted to press OK to confirm whether to overwrite the current version by the new one, or press Cancel to stop the installation.

After you are asked whether to install the extension only for your user or for all users. If you choose the Only for me option, the extension will be installed only for your user. If you choose For all users, you need system administrator rights. In this case the extension will be available for all users. In general, choose Only for me, that doesn't require administration rights on the operating system.

After this, in your document, go to Tools > Language > For Selection > More..., and in the Language box select Latin.

If you really want to use Word...

In Word 2003, you were able to go to Tools > Language and change the document language to Latin. It didn't do any spell checking, but hey, you got a little 'Latin' label in the bottom right instead of 'English' (or whatever language you use).

It appears they've stripped a bunch of the language options out of more recent versions of Word. To stop spellcheck, under Tools > Language you can always change it to a language that you don't have a spellcheck dictionary for (Latvian sounds close enough). Or you can check the box that says Do not check spelling or grammar.

Of course, if you want to be really geeky, you can always use Vim...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.