I just said this to a friend:

Ecce in hac pagina vox Iohannis Ørbergii capitula a primo usque ad decimum Linguae Latinae Per Se Illustratae legentis:

https://sites.google.com/site/sobrinointroductiontolatin/audio-recordings

I've got the genitive Linguae Latinae modifying capitula in between the genitive Iohannis Ørbergii and its modifier legentis. Can you…do that?

If you're asking if you can nest genitives, of course you can. This particular one is a bit extreme, and sounds more poetical to me, but the practice is fine. Compare Cicero's Republic 1.13.10:

unius aetatis clarissimorum ac sapientissimorum nostrae civitatis virorum disputatio repetenda memoria est.

Here, clarissimorum ac sapientissimorum modify virorum, with nostrae civitatis in the middle: "the most distinguished and wisest men of our commonwealth."

In Greek, I've seen the nesting encompass quite a lot, too, and in poetry it's not uncommon to see some examples on the extreme side.

• That's a lot of genitives! I was thinking that it's still disambiguated by number and gender (the -orum adjectives can't modify civitatis), but wait—isn't there a third layer of nesting here? That is, does unius aetatis modify virorum (as genitive of genitive, not adjective modifying genitive)? – Ben Kovitz Nov 27 '17 at 3:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.