I learned from this question that the Romans used the same verb mutuari both for loaning words from Greek and deriving new words within Latin. Are there any examples in classical literature that make a distinction between derivation and loan? Or were they considered the same thing? After all, they are both instances of repurposing old words; the difference is only in the source of the material.

It is possible that the extant evidence is insufficient, and that is indeed one possible answer. If there are other verbs the Romans used for borrowing words from other languages, please consider leaving an answer to the linked question whether you answer this one or not.

• I think you're missing the point of my reply to the other question here. 'Loan word' is an English expression for a word taken from another language. Strictly, a loan is something lent in expectation of its return and the term loan word, is widely accepted, but used inaccurately — just as it is 'inaccurate' to 'borrow' a word that you can't give back! – Tom Cotton Nov 21 '17 at 18:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.