I noticed recently that most (but not all) Latin words ending in -etum have something to do with a cluster of vegetation. An obvious example derived into English is an "arboretum."

Where does "-etum" come from? Was it considered a productive suffix? Extra points if you can find a classical source that mentions the suffix!

Allen & Greenough lists -etum/-tum under the heading 'Nouns with Adjective Suffixes' (section 254). It notes that the suffix denotes 'place of a thing, especially with names of trees and plants to designate where these grow.'

The examples provided are:

• quercetum, 'oak grove'
  • olivetum, 'olive grove'
  • salictum, 'a willow thicket'
  • Argiletum, 'The Clay Pit' (from argilla, 'clay')

Plus, you've already mentioned arboretum. I've also seen rosetum and fruticetum, and the corresponding section in Gildersleeve & Lodge (181) offers myrtetum and virgultum. So, given the somewhat limited area of applicability, the suffix seems to be reasonably productive.

In A&G, comparison is made to the suffixes -atus and -utus, and there's a reference to the following note from section 246:

NOTE. — -atus, -itus, -utus, imply reference to an imaginary verb-stem: -tus is added directly to nouns without any such reference.

I can't help wondering whether there's some original relationship to the -esc suffix/infix that has to do with beginning/growing/becoming. There is in fact a verb arborescere, 'to grow into a tree.' Perhaps arboretum originally meant '(a place where) there has been growing into trees,' as a sort of impersonal passive. There's also a verb fruticesco, 'to put forth shoots, become bushy'; so fruticetum could likewise denote a place where this action has occurred. Other words, where no verb is attested, could easily have been formed by analogy. This is just conjecture, of course, and not a 'proper' answer.

Buck, Comparative grammar p. 335, writes that Latin -ētum is “originally from verb stems in ē, as in acētum ‘vinegar’ (acēscō ‘turn sour’), but productive in nouns of place, especially place where a plant grows.”

de Vann derives acētum from aceō ‘be sour’, not from the inchoative acēscō; in any case the ē is part of the stem. It seems possible to me that the productive suffix -ētum was simply extracted from acētum.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.