The Vulgate Romans 1:1 reads

Paulus servus Christi Iesu vocatus apostolus segregatus in evangelium Dei

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God

If I wanted to say "Set apart for God" would that be "Segregatus in Deus"?

Depends on the thing set apart. If you're talking about yourself (assuming you're male), you could say segregatus. If the subject is female, it would be segregata, and if it's an undetermined object, segregatum. Nouns all have gender, though, so if it's referring to e.g. a book, name, or house, it would all be different. Same with whether you're referring to one thing or many.

Doing something for another typically gives the dative case, which for Deus is a simple Deo. More clarification on what's being segregating will yield you the full phrase.

The "in evangelium" here is translating εἰς εὐαγγέλιον; εἰς + acc. can denote purpose in obtaining that object, which works less well in Latin and especially with segregatus.

• Thank you all for the input ! Splendid ! It would be a motto regarding a male person, set apart (from from family, friends, regular life, etc) for God. So that would be Segregatus in Deo?
    – Johan88
    Oct 31 '17 at 2:42
  • Or just Segregatus Deo as suggested by Tom Cotton?
    – Johan88
    Oct 31 '17 at 2:48
    @user1988 The latter: Segregatus Deo.
    – cmw
    Oct 31 '17 at 3:56
    You are close to 20k, sir. Congratulations!
    – ktm5124
    Oct 31 '17 at 7:23

It seems to me that in Deum doesn't work here. In the phrase in evangelium, the preposition in means 'for' in the sense of 'for the purpose of.' Although evangelium can be a purpose for which a person can be set aside, I'm not sure that Deus by itself is. A glance (a very quick one, I admit) in the dictionary didn't show any analogous use of a sentient or divine being as the object of in when it has this meaning. I'd be more inclined to say segregatus Deo, using a dative.

I just assumed it was Vulgate wonkery.
    – cmw
    Oct 30 '17 at 22:46
  • @C.M.Weimer. Well, I wouldn't rule that out completely...
    – cnread
    Oct 30 '17 at 23:02
  • @C.M.Weimer hahaha. I wouldn't know. Were they wonky translators ?
    – Johan88
    Oct 31 '17 at 2:45
    @user1988 As I pointed out, it's probably strictly adhering to the Greek here. cnread is right on the money, though, that because it's a bit weird, reverting to the dative case is more likely, so as he suggests (and I guess you accepted) segregatus deo. Tom Cotton's alternative is also viable, though I at first would have read it as "set apart on behalf of god."
    – cmw
    Oct 31 '17 at 3:57

This is a bit tricky, but I'd settle for [apostolus] pro Deo segregatus, which I would interpret as 'set apart for God['s work]'.

• Pro Segregatus Deo. That's a marvelous suggestion, and is mighty sonorous. In this particular case I have to keep as close to the Vulgate as possible and I'm pressed for space, so as good as it sounds I'll go without the Pro if I possibly can - as much as I like it. Thanks so much for a fantastic suggestion !
    – Johan88
    Oct 31 '17 at 2:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.