I've read on Stack Exchange that Absit Invidia means "May Malice Be Gone". Can one also use it then, for example, when a pesky terrible person leave the room, or even say it to them as a command (i.e. to get out because of their malice)? Or is it only a wish?

Basically, I want something other than "bug off" and "F* you" to say against the nasty people I have to work and deal with. This would be relevant in two scenarios: 1. They are there and I want them to leave. 2. They have just left and I want to 'relieve' my soul of them.

If you want to see it as a command, how would you phrase it in English or some other language? I imagine "may malice be gone" and "go away, you malicious one" can have the same effect in some situations, but the nuance is different. – Joonas Ilmavirta Oct 10 '17 at 19:00
    Thanks! I edited that explanation into your question. Feel free to re-edit. – Joonas Ilmavirta Oct 11 '17 at 5:49
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Thanks Joonas, as always. Joonas and CMW, the usual suspects! :) Much obliged. – Johan88 Oct 11 '17 at 5:52

To pun on it but make it a command, try: Absis, invidia, "May you, malice, be gone." Absis is the second person singular, and though it still expresses a wish, it's no different than in English in that respect. (Think of it like a curse.)

If someone has just left, you can use the simple present: Invidia abest, "The malice is away."

• Thanks alot. That answers my question and addresses both circumstances (when they're there, and when they've left). Fantastic. – Johan88 Oct 11 '17 at 3:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.