How would I say that something won't end for a period of time, for example:

Dinner isn't over for another hour.

I considered Cena non finet ante hora, but that didn't quite sound right.

Update:

I'm looking for a use that emphasizes the length of time, or how far away the end of the time period is, as in

Ugh, dinner isn't over for another two hours!

or

Yay! The party is still going for two more hours!

You would use the simple accusative here, as duration is one of its key uses. For a full explanation, see Gildersleeve and Lodge § 336. Cenabimus alteram horam. "We will dine for another hour."

If you wanted to emphasize the ending point, i.e. "Dinner will be over in one hour," then you could use the ablative (G&L § 393). Cenae finis una hora. "Dinner's end is in one hour."

• Thanks, is there a way to use the ablative (or the accusative) to emphasize not so much the endpoint, but how far away the endpoint is (see my update)? – jpyams Sep 30 '17 at 13:11
  • @jpyams The ablative gives emphasis to the endpoint, so I recommend the accusative. – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 30 '17 at 13:55
  • This is a special use of the accusative of extent, also used for distance: e.g., we walked two miles. – Anonym Sep 30 '17 at 17:14
  • Is there a way to use this more as a negative? Cenabimus alteram horam sounds rather neutral; would Cena non finet alteram horam make sense in Latin? – jpyams Oct 2 '17 at 2:03
  • @jpyams The verb (which would be finiet) is usually transitive, though it can be intransitive in late poetry. I would recommend manere, "to remain." *Cena alteram horam manebit." – C. M. Weimer Oct 6 '17 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.