Suppose we had this sentence:

Hannibal Romanos vicisset, nisi plurimi elephantes periissent.

Now let's put this in indirect speech:

*Credo Hannibalem vicisse.

We want to say, "I believe that Hannibal would have won". But the above means something else: "I believe that Hannibal won". How should the irrealis be rendered in indirect speech?

I have already looked it up, and the below is what Allen and Greenough have to say (which matches what I seemed to remember). In short, use the future participle with fuisse:

Credo Hannibalem victurum fuisse.

Allen and Greenough:

[*] b. In changing a Condition contrary to fact (§ 517) into the Indirect Discourse, the following points require notice:—

• The Protasis always remains unchanged in tense.

The Apodosis, if active, takes a peculiar infinitive form, made by combining the Participle in -ūrus with fuisse .

If the verb of the Apodosis is passive or has no supine stem, the periphrasis futūrum fuisse ut (with the Imperfect Subjunctive) must be used.

An Indicative in the Apodosis becomes a Perfect Infinitive.

Examples are:—

• “nec se superstitem filiae futurum fuisse, nisi spem ulciscendae mortis êius in auxilio commilitonum habuisset ” (Liv. 3.50.7) , and that he should not now be a survivor, etc., unless he had had hope, etc. [Direct: non superstes essem , nisi habuissem .]

“illud Asia cogitet, nullam a se neque belli externi neque discordiarum domesticarum calamitatem afuturam fuisse, si hoc imperio non teneretur ” (Q. Fr. 1.1.34) , let Asia (personified) think of this, that no disaster, etc., would not be hers, if she were not held by this government. [Direct: abesset , si non tenerer .]

“quid inimicitiarum creditis [me] excepturum fuisse, si insontis lacessissem ” (Q. C. 6.10.18) , what enmities do you think I should have incurred, if I had wantonly assailed the innocent? [excepissem ... si lacessissem.]

“invitum se dicere, nec dicturum fuisse, ni caritas rei publicae vinceret ” (Liv. 2.2) , that he spoke unwillingly and should not have spoken, did not love for the state prevail. [Direct: nec dixissem ... ni vinceret .]

“nisi eo tempore quidam nuntii de Caesaris victoria ... essent allati, existimabant plerique futurum fuisse uti [oppidum] amitteretur ” (B. C. 3.101) , most people thought that unless at that time reports of Cæsar's victory had been brought, the town would have been lost. [Direct: nisi essent allati ... amissum esset .]

“quorum si aetas potuisset esse longinquior, futurum fuisse ut omnibus perfectis artibus hominum vita erudiretur ” (Tusc. 3.69) , if life could have been longer, human existence would have been embellished by every art in its perfection. [Direct: si potuisset ... erudita esset .]

“ at plerique existimant, si acrius insequi voluisset, bellum eo die potuisse finire ” (B. C. 3.51) , but most people think that, if he had chosen to follow up the pursuit more vigorously, he could have ended the war on that day. [Direct: si voluisset ... potuit .]

“Caesar respondit ... si alicûius iniuriae sibi conscius fuisset, non fuisse difficile cavere ” (B. G. 1.14) , Cæsar replied that if [the Roman people] had been aware of any wrong act, it would not have been hard for them to take precautions. [Direct: si fuisset , non difficile fuit (§ 517. c).]

[*] Note 1.--In Indirect Discourse Present Conditions contrary to fact are not distinguished in the apodosis from Past Conditions contrary to fact, but the protasis may keep them distinct.

[*] Note 2.--The periphrasis futurum fuisse ut is sometimes used from choice when there is no necessity for resorting to it, but not in Cæsar or Cicero.

[*] Note 3.--Very rarely the Future Infinitive is used in the Indirect Discourse to express the Apodosis of a Present Condition contrary to fact. Only four or five examples of this use occur in classic authors: as,Titurius clamabat si Caesar adesset neque Carnutes, etc., “neque Eburones tanta cum contemptione nostra ad castra venturos esse” (B. G. 5.29) , Titurius cried out that if Cæsar were present, neither would the Carnutes, etc., nor would the Eburones be coming to our camp with such contempt, [Direct: si adesset ... venirent .]

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.