This room is for talking about Latin[.SE].

Now, I've got most of this translated. The only thing I'm stumbling on is how to translate "for". I see two options, but neither is very good:

• "pro" -- It means "on behalf of", so I could twist it into "on behalf of the couple's happiness", but from the other meanings given I think it has a different connotation, and doesn't fit right.
  • An ut clause of purpose -- It seems to fit, until you realize that it's basically saying "let us drink so that the couple will have a happy marriage" -- I'm sure they could have a happy one without that toast, especially if they were both oblivious like me.
  • ad + gerund(ive) -- same as above.

Am I missing something about these options? Is there another that would fit better?

NB: I'm leaving out the .SE part intentionally.

It's hard to translate "for" alone, so let me give you more complete expressions. A couple of options come to mind:

• Hoc conclave situi (interretiali) Latin.SE disputando dedicatum est.
  • Hic de situ Latin.SE colloqui licet.
  • Ut de situ Latin.SE colloquamur. (So that we may talk about the site. This is incomplete but a beginning like "Hoc conclave creatum est" can be understood implicitly.)
  • Hoc conclave dedicatum est colloquiis de situ Latin.SE.

These are not literal, but may confer the meaning clearly enough. If you just want a (sub)title for a chat room, then a dative expression like "[conclave] situi Latin.SE disputando" or "[conclave] disputationibus de situ Latin.SE" would work well. A similar dative construction with a gerundive can be found in the name of Academia Latinitati Fovendae.

If you want to talk about Latin as a language instead of Latin.SE as a website, simply substitute Lingua latina for my situs Latin.SE.

My exact recommendation depends on where you want to use that phrase. I can update if you give more details. It often is difficult to translate compact expressions properly without context.

Hmm. I'd actually suggest the gerundive: ad Latinam disputandam or Latinæ disputandæ causa. The Latin Library puts it nicely:

The Gerundive (like the Gerund) may be used with ad + acc. or gen. + causa to express purpose. This is the regular construction where a Direct Object is involved.

That said, @Joonas Ilmavirta's suggestions, though they show less characteristically Roman brevity, all work very well, too.

• Perfect! There's one thing missing, though...(hint: it ends on -pices). – Cerberus Mar 17 '16 at 0:40
    Spices? Auspices? Precipices? Haruspices? :) – Joel Derfner Mar 17 '16 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.