Consider these Latin cardinal numbers: quadrAginta, quinquAginta, sexAginta, nonAginta. The -ginta seems to stand for tens (cf. triginta, octoginta) and the initial parts quadr-, quinqu-, sex-, and non- are easy to connect with 4, 5, 6, and 9, respectively. The thing that puzzles me is the A in between (capitalized in the examples). What is the origin of this A? Do we know if it has a role or meaning? Is it related to the other long A at the end? I don't recall seeing a similar A binding two words together in a similar fashion in any other context.

1 Answer 1

This is a messy point in Indo-European studies. Most of the many who have written on it think that the internal long ā originated in quadrāgintā and then spread by analogy to sexāgintā etc. The -rā- in quadrāgintā is then explained as the reflex of long syllabic /ṝ/, or as /r/ plus a laryngeal, or something like that. It is discussed in Sihler and de Vaan, in both cases somewhat differently, but along these general lines.

• According to Weiss, the laryngeal was specifically the *h2 of the neuter plural ending.
    – TKR
    Aug 23, 2017 at 22:03
  • Does r + h2 = rā? de Vaan says that “the long ā in quadrāginta (sic) must be phonetic”, which seems to be a way of saying that he has no explanation for it. @TKR
    – fdb
    Aug 24, 2017 at 9:19
  • PIE *rH (when r is syllabic) gives Lat. rā for all laryngeals. "Must be phonetic" seems completely meaningless, I agree.
    – TKR
    Aug 24, 2017 at 15:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.