Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) is a large corpus of Latin inscriptions. The Wikipedia page contains some links, but none of the tools linked there seem to allow me to make a text search. For example, I might want to search for all inscriptions containing the word senatus spelled out in full or those containing the name Agrippa. Is there a way to do this? An advanced search tool is not necessary; it would be enough to have a sufficiently large chunk of the corpus in searchable form. I feel that I must be missing something obvious, but I couldn't figure this out.

Perhaps db.edcs.eu/epigr/epi.php?s_sprache=en (publication: CIL)?
    – Alex B.
    Aug 14, 2017 at 4:20
  • @AlexB. That looks very promising after a quick trial! Can you post it as an answer?
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Aug 14, 2017 at 12:21
  • Did you just create two tags for that? Hahaha
    – Rafael
    Aug 14, 2017 at 12:53
    @Rafael I did, and I synonymized them immediately. I thought it would make future use easier. We haven't had many inscription questions yet, but I hope there will be more.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Aug 14, 2017 at 14:06
    @Joonas Ilmavirta I don't believe that it's possible to search yet, but digitization seems to be under development. This might help in assessing the situation: arachne.uni-koeln.de/drupal/?q=en/node/291
    – Tom Cotton
    Aug 16, 2017 at 16:58

1 Answer 1

Hathi Trust is a large database of digitilised texts from universities all over the world (kind of an academic version of archive.org). Everything (as far as I know) is searchable. For "Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum", there are many results. The first page shows volume 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.