I would like help modifying the famous phrase nil satis nisi optimum to lower expectations somewhat to "nothing but seventh place is good enough". Google Translate creates a suspicious range of different suggestions, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

To parallel optimum ("best", singular neuter nominative), I would go with septimum ("seventh", same form). Therefore I suggest nil satis nisi septimum. Funnily enough, it sounds very similar to the original, which is always a good bonus for an analogy.

As brianpck comments below, optimum means "the best [thing]". Similarly, my septimum means "the seventh [thing]", not so much "the seventh place". But I think the message is clear enough in this form, and the word play would be diluted by additional words.

• Hmm...my reservation is that optimum means "the best [thing]" whereas septimum doesn't lend itself to that kind of abstraction. Do you know of any examples where ordinal numbers stand for "X place"?
    – brianpck
    Aug 7 '17 at 19:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.