C.M. Weimer quotes Cicero's Orator, 153, in this answer:

How was the name of your ancestor changed from Axilla to Ala except from a desire to avoid a harsh-sounding letter? The same letter is removed by refined Latin speech from maxillae, taxilli, vexillum and pauxillum.

This comes to me as quite a surprise. I had understood that maxilla is a diminutive form of māla; see, for example, etymonline. Wouldn't dropping the x undo the diminutive? If the Romans dropped the x, what would the result be? Māilla? Māla? Wouldn't this cause confusion? Aren't there already too many homonyms clashing over māla?

It seems that the original form of at least some of these words did have "x," which was dropped before a consonant but not before the diminutive suffix -ill- which started with a vowel. So "axla" etc. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ala#Latin But the x was dropped in the normal word, similar to how iumentum comes from Old Latin jouxmentom. I would guess this is the case for māla as well (i.e. it was earlier maxla). Posting this as a comment because it is just a guess. – Asteroides Mar 11 '16 at 16:03

I think sumelic is correct, though both De Vaan and Etymonline disagree. If I may quote Lewis and Short:

maxilla , ae, f. dim. of a ground-form magsula (whence māla; root mag of μάσσω, to knead; μαγεύς. baker, etc.; cf. axilla, āla, from ago)

This makes sense, too, because -xilla is not a proper diminutive suffux. So here, the root is mag- with a sibilant for the ending. Making that diminutive gives us magsula or with a more modern orthography maxilla (cf. older Latin optumus and standard optimus).

De Vaan derives it back to smaksla- (cf. OIr. smech 'chin', Hit. zamakur 'beard', Lith. smakras, 'chin', etc.). However, he doesn't really account for the loss of the gutteral in māla; instead, he derives both from PIE.

Māla reflects *smaks(V)la, whereas maxilla can be from *smakslela, or has the productive suffix -illa.

However, if we were to use other Latin words for analogy, as Lewis and Short points out, āla is impossible to derive from ag-, and it makes more sense to go this way:

ag- > axis > axilla > āla

It should be noted that x easily slips away from words, as it turned into /h/ in Spanish, s or ss in French, and s, ss, or sci in Italian.

The same change occurs in all clusters of the form -Csl-, -Csn-, -Csm-: the first two consonants are lost with compensatory lengthening of the preceding vowel. Weiss Hist. Gramm. Latin 177-9 gives many examples. – TKR Mar 11 '16 at 19:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.