I want to engrave my ring with my wedding date in Latin. The date is June 8th, 2010. Can you translate this for me?

In classical mode this is rather complicated, but would be abbreviated to a.d. VI Id. Iun. A.D. MMX, literally short for 'the sixth day before the Ides of June in the Year of the Lord 2010'.

In more modern writings this might be more simply expressed VIII. IUN. MMX.

Take your pick!

This is indeed the classical way to write the date, and I would recommend the classicla form. If anyone wants more details, this older question might be interesting. I would add that if Iveta ever needs to read the date out loud, it's ante diem sextum Idus Iunias anno Domini bis millesimo decimo. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 14 '17 at 18:09
    Good, but (I must have said this before sometime) if you are using the Roman style you ought to use the Julian (not Gregorian) calendar, where the equivalent is a.d. VII Kal. Iun.(26 May). – fdb Jul 14 '17 at 19:48
    @fdb, that's too pedantic for words! How would anyone know whether it was Julian or Gregorian? Anyway, it wasn't until 525 that Dionysius Exiguus ('Little Denis') worked out the now-accepted year in which the Christian Era should be considered to have begun. We might, of course, be really classical (and in the absence of consuls) write AUC MMDCCLXIII. – Tom Cotton Jul 15 '17 at 8:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.