I'm looking to translate a sentence, and need conjugation help.

The motto would be "through all things/trials/struggles, (loving) kindness."

So far I have:

Per conatio omina, bonitatis...

Is this translation fine so far? How do I finish the sentence?

• Welcome to the site! I made some edits to your question, but feel free to edit it further or undo the edits if you want to. I warmly recommend taking a look at our tour and registering your account, so that you get better access to your question, including editing, commenting, and voting on answers.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 12, 2017 at 17:08

2 Answers 2

If you don't mind using Christian vocabulary, your quote is an almost exact translation of St Augustine's famous saying:

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.

This is:

In necessary things, unity. In uncertain things, liberty. In all things, charity.

Can you explain how well caritas corresponds to (loving) kindness? I think it's a good fit, but elaborating on it might be useful for the OP.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 12, 2017 at 18:24
  • @JoonasIlmavirta charity is definitely associated with Agape: "love; the highest form of love, charity" LSJ: perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/…, Middle Liddell: perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/…
    – DukeZhou
    Jul 12, 2017 at 22:25
    @JoonasIlmavirta It's such a good fit the Church frequently translates caritas as 'lovingkindness' rather than charity when creating English texts. It would be hard to do better. Jul 13, 2017 at 1:39
  • @brianpck I see what you mean by invoking Augustine : as a whole, it captures the intention nicely and, in spite of the several meanings which can be given to caritas according to context, I certainly wouldn't argue against that. But do you suggest using only the three emphasised words? That would surely be to ignore the questioner's 'trials/struggles' — or am I mistaken?
    – Tom Cotton
    Jul 13, 2017 at 14:50

Your first effort indicates that you are starting without much knowledge of Latin so, rather than explain what's not right about it, can I make a couple of suggestions?

For a motto, a verb can often (as you have done here) be omitted. You might like :

rebus in arduis benignitas, kindliness when things are difficult ;

— alternatively, per rebus adversis cum benignitate, with kindliness through adversity.

There are many other possibilities. Perhaps you could make the context a little fuller?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.