As far as I know, the nature of man could be translated in at least two ways in Attic Greek:

1. ἡ φῠ́σῐς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου

2. ἡ τοῦ φῠ́σῐς ἀνθρώπου

The second version seems to have been more idiomatic in Ancient Greek; so my question is whether or not this is true; and also if both versions are grammatically correct.

Are you sure about the second one? I don't recall seeing that. I would perhaps write ἡ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου φῠ́σῐς. – Cerberus Jul 1 '17 at 13:00
    Agreed, ἡ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου φῠ́σῐς is also possible, but not ἡ τοῦ φῠ́σῐς ἀνθρώπου. TLG is down for me right now but I'll check it later and see which was more common, though I suspect the first. – C. M. Weimer Jul 1 '17 at 13:20
  • And in .1. isn't the definite article repeated? ἡ φῠ́σῐς ἡ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου. – Hugh Jul 1 '17 at 20:20

As an ancient Greek teacher I can tell you that the sentence #1 is correct. But #2 although it is grammatically correct, it's syntax is not. The sentence that would be the best translation in Attic is the ἡ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου φῠ́σῐς (it's grammar AND syntax are both correct and also sounds better).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.