Both per- an de- can be used as intensifying prefixes. It seems that per- is far more common, but also de- occurs (detritus, defetisci, deplorare…). There is also deperire, where de- seems to intensify perire whereas per- is not really an intensifier of ire. There are some words that can be intensified with either prefix. I found vincere and populari, and I assume there is more.

I would like to compare these two prefixes. How can I guess which prefix is a more likely intensifier? Is there a difference in meaning between the two, either when both can be used or ruling out one? I know that both prefixes can also indicate direction, and in that case the difference is clear; my interest here is in intensification. Are there any general rules (of thumb) at all, or do I really need to go on a case-by-case basis here?

If giving a reasonable answer requires imposing some restrictions (only verbs and only in classical Latin, for example), feel free to do so. Also illuminating examples are good even without an overall theory. I am looking for some intuition into this thing, not any specific details.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.