Terence Tunberg's translation of Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas has a rather prolix title:

Quomodo Invidiosulus Nomine Grinchus Christi Natalem Abrogaverit

whose literal translation is:

How the little envious one named Grinch repealed Christmas

Two choices stand out:

• Substituting a diminutive adjective and explicit naming for the simple "Grinch"
  • Changing "steal" to a more complicated legal term, "abrogo"

I'll be honest: I've always thought this was a terrible translation of the title, substituting 5 easily understood children's words (= 7 syllables) with a long-winded and difficult title of a treatise (= 24 syllables).

A more literal translation could be:

Quomodo Grinchus Christi Natalem Furatus Sit.

(= 14 syllables)

My question: Has Terence, an excellent Latinist, offered any commentary on his reasons for translating this way? What are some good reasons for opting for the longer title?

• I really don't want to elicit opinions ("right on!" "seriously?"), but some objective reasons, especially confirmed by the translator himself, in favor of the chosen route. – brianpck Jun 17 '17 at 15:02
  • Lectio difficilior potior. "The more difficult reading [is] the stronger." We gotta give those little kiddos a challenge. – steved34000 Mar 6 at 19:22

I found this article from the Chicago Tribune that partially explains this. The short version: the Tunbergs didn't think 'Grinch' sounded very good as Latin, but they couldn't get permission to change the name, because it's such a recognizable part of the story. 'Invidiosulus nomine Grinchus' was the compromise that was reached with Dr Seuss's estate, but the Tunbergs were allowed to substitute a couple of instances of 'the Grinch' in their translation with 'Invidiosulus.'

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.