I am reading an essay on Vergil's Aeneid, and there is a citation that says: the citation

Does this citation direct to the book Vergilius 4 published in 1940, on page 5-17?

If so, I am having trouble finding such a book written by Duckworth.

• Not sure why the picture did not show, here it is: imgur.com/a/Xl4JS – Novel Ventures Jun 8 '17 at 13:39
  • I understand now that Vergilius is a journal. But does the 1940 refer to the edition date? If so, does anyone know where I can access 1940 Vergilius? From JSTOR I only have 1959 - – Novel Ventures Jun 8 '17 at 13:50
  • Perhaps you could contact the Vergilian Society itself? They may have the early editions of Vergilius in their archives: vergiliansociety.org – Penelope Jun 11 '17 at 13:24
  • If you belong to a university or educational institution, check if you have access to this file. Its the online version of the text in question. – luchonacho Aug 8 at 12:06

The full citation is: Duckworth, G. W. 1940. "Turnus as a Tragic Character." Vergilius 4: 5-17. This is the fourth volume of the journal and was published in 1940.

It seems the article is not available online. Vergilius took a hiatus (or had a different name?), and you're right that it's not on JSTOR. There's a collection of the early volumes on Google Books, but it only shows "snippet view" for me.

WorldCat lists three locations for the collected volumes, and if you have access to a library that offers InterLibrary Loan, that might be your best bet.

seems it's tricky to find it. Duckworth taught at Princeton and surely Princeton has it. Classics Collection (Clas). Firestone Call number: PA6825.A2 V4743 – Alex B. Jun 8 '17 at 21:40
  • The text is available online here, but only for members. Chances are that universities with strong classics departments might be members. – luchonacho Aug 8 at 12:05

I found this is the Cambridge University Library catalogue:

Title: Vergilius.
Other Entries: Vergilian Society.
Published: Atlanta, GA: Vergilian Society, 1956-
Publication history: Began with vol. 1, (1956).
Description: ill ; 23 cm.
ISSN: 0506-7294
Notes: Supersedes Vergilius, no. 1-6, 1938-40.
Continues The Vergilian Digest, 1956-58.
Published by the Vergilian Society.
Subjects: Virgil--Periodicals.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.