I have this stone with the incomplete inscription "IH". I think it could be the IHS Christogram but I am not sure.

The height of the fragment is about 10cm, the material seems terracotta.

The stone was found in a rural area in the Emilia Romagna region in Italy.

A local farmer told me it could be from a cemetery.

What other Latin inscription might it be?

How old is it?

A stone with the incomplete inscription "IH"

Unfortunately, I think it will be almost impossible to give a good answer without more background: surely you have some more details to give than just "I have this stone"? The only positive thing I can say is that I don't know any Latin words that begin with IH. IHS is a solid guess, though I see no reason to exclude that this is a Greek inscription.
    – brianpck
    Jun 5, 2017 at 19:08
  • @brianpck You're right! I add all the info that I have. Thank you. Jun 5, 2017 at 19:15
    GNOCCHI, perhaps. Or GRACCHI; now that would be fun if you found his brother too.
    – Hugh
    Jun 5, 2017 at 19:52
    @Hugh interesting alternative! Even if I did not understand the joke (?). Jun 5, 2017 at 20:36
    @AlessandroJacopson It's certainly not Gnocchi or Gracchi - so that's the joke - but it could end in -hi. It could well be Italian just as much as Latin or Greek.
    – cmw
    Jun 6, 2017 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.