I have this stone with the incomplete inscription "IH". I think it could be the IHS Christogram but I am not sure.

The height of the fragment is about 10cm, the material seems terracotta.

The stone was found in a rural area in the Emilia Romagna region in Italy.

A local farmer told me it could be from a cemetery.

What other Latin inscription might it be?

How old is it?

A stone with the incomplete inscription "IH"

Unfortunately, I think it will be almost impossible to give a good answer without more background: surely you have some more details to give than just "I have this stone"? The only positive thing I can say is that I don't know any Latin words that begin with IH. IHS is a solid guess, though I see no reason to exclude that this is a Greek inscription. – brianpck Jun 5 '17 at 19:08
  • @brianpck You're right! I add all the info that I have. Thank you. – Alessandro Jacopson Jun 5 '17 at 19:15
    GNOCCHI, perhaps. Or GRACCHI; now that would be fun if you found his brother too. – Hugh Jun 5 '17 at 19:52
    @Hugh interesting alternative! Even if I did not understand the joke (?). – Alessandro Jacopson Jun 5 '17 at 20:36
    @AlessandroJacopson It's certainly not Gnocchi or Gracchi - so that's the joke - but it could end in -hi. It could well be Italian just as much as Latin or Greek. – cmw Jun 6 '17 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.