We all know the principle of divide and conquer: divide et impera

I was wondering (kind of as a joke) what would be the appropriate translation of "unite and conquer" or "unify and conquer" (whichever one sounds better)?

Cf. Benjamin Franklin's "join or die" -- or in Latin "iungite aut perite"-- along with the image of a cut up rattlesnake to emphasize the dangers disunity among the American colonies. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join,_or_Die
    – user1466
    May 29 '17 at 20:13

There are several different ways, but I prefer conduc et impera. Conducere is one of the many words which can mean "unite," but in this particular case, it's also used for gathering together troops:

1. Of persons (esp. freq. of the collecting, assembling of troops in any place): milites de castellis ad castra, Sisenn. ap. Non. p. 514, 7: “populum in forum,” Varr. ib. p. 274, 20: “exercitum in unum locum,” Caes. B. G. 2, 2: “eo copias omnes,” id. B. C. 3, 13 fin.: “copias suas,” id. B. G. 6, 31 init.; cf. “auxilia,” Liv. 30, 21, 3; 23, 13, 8: “dispersas suorum copias,” Tac. H. 4, 71: “virgines unum in locum,” Cic. Inv. 2, 1, 3: “omnis clientes suos eodem,” Caes. B. G. 1, 4: “milites in unum,” Sall. J. 51, 3; cf. Tac. A. 4, 47.—
  • Thanks for the response. I didn't really make it clear, but I was referring to uniting the enemy. As in, "let's help out enemies unite and then go about conquering them". I know this is nonsensical, but the absurdity is precisely what I wanted to bring out. May 29 '17 at 20:22
    Yes, that still works. Unlike the English unite, conducere is transitive, so it has to have an object. "Unite [them] and conquer." It's going to be ambiguous either way, though, so perhaps you could make the object explicit: Conduc hostes et supera, "unite the enemies and conquer."
    – cmw
    May 29 '17 at 22:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.