What is the correct way to write roman numerals with superscript? Should the convention of the language be used or the latin convention?

This question is a little bit unclear to me. Obviously "VIIth" is impossible if you are writing in the Latin language. The suffix "-th" is English, not Latin. But when you say "the convention of the language," are you talking about using Roman numerals in a language other than Latin? If so, each language will have its own conventions, I assume. – sumelic Apr 29 '17 at 16:46
    You may want to reword the question for clarity. In a number of languages (English included,) you can use Roman numerals for ordinal numbers: VII=7th. The Roman numeral in itself is not implying you are using a Latin word or way of saying, so it is most probably up to the rules of the language you are using whether to add a suffix/superscript, e.g. in French, you say VIIᵉ – Rafael Apr 29 '17 at 19:54

At least in the inscriptions that I've seen, there's no particular indication at all – it would just be understood from context that an ordinal rather than cardinal number is required. For example, the grave inscription of a man named Rufus Site who served in the sixth cohort says:

RVFVS SITA EQVES C[o]HO[rtis] VI ...

(This inscription is CIL VII,67; there's a not-very-clear photo in Alison Cooley, The Cambridge manual of Latin epigraphy, p 379.)

In printed texts, though, ordinals are often represented by using a period after the number, as is the convention in, e.g., modern German (VI.). For example, from the Oxford text of Caesar, De bello civili 3.62:

ad eas munitiones Caesar Lentulum Marcellinum quaestorem cum legione VIIII. positum habebat.

• Even in printed texts, you don't always get the period afterward. – C. M. Weimer Apr 29 '17 at 21:48
    @C.M.Weimer: Very true; that's why I was careful to qualify my answer with an 'often.' Still, a quick (and hardly scientific) sampling of just the texts on my bookshelves, from Italian, German, British, American, and French publishers, from the mid-1800s through the present, seemed to show a slight preference for the period over nothing at all. Interestingly, all the Teubner texts that I glanced at write out all ordinals in full. Perhaps that's a coincidence, or perhaps it reflects actual Teubner editorial policy. I don't think a single American text that I looked at used the periods. – cnread Apr 29 '17 at 23:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.