Are there any ancient—or modern, if not—examples of a learner's alphabet that mirrors the modern "A is for..."?

I'm not really looking for poetry that has an alphabet acrostic or any other playfulness, but specifically for a standard construction of "is for" or "stands for" or "signifies" when used with alphabets.

I know I could use significare or indicare, but I don't know if that has Classical precedents specifically for this type of exercise.

The beginning of Orbis Pictus (1658) by Comenius has a list of sounds corresponding to the letters of the alphabet, meant for young students ("boys").

I have reproduced it from the 1748 edition of the Latin-German-Hungarian version (http://real-r.mtak.hu/624/, pdf pages 25-27), omitting the grammatical information on the nouns. The English translations are from the 1777 edition of Hoole's Latin-English version (http://books.google.nl/books?vid=OCLC27390661&pg=PA2).

The Magister (Master) tells the Puer (Boy): "Hic habes vivum et vocále Alphabétum" - "Here thou hast a lively and vocal Alphabet".

• A a: Cornix cornicátur (The Crow crieth), á á
  • B b: Ovis balat (The Lamb bleateth), bé é é [the English version has 'Agnus']
  • C c: Cicáda stridet (The Grashopper chirpeth), cí cí
  • D d: Úpupa dicit (The Whooppoo saith), du du
  • E e: Infans éjulat (The Infant crieth), é é é
  • F f: Ventus flat (The Wind bloweth), fi fi
  • G g: Anser gingrit (The Goose gagleth), ga ga
  • H h: Os halat (The Mouth breatheth out), háh háh
  • I i: Mus mintrit (The Mouse chirpeth), í í í
  • K k: Anas tetrinnit (The Duck quacketh), kha kha
  • L l: Lupus úlulat (The Wolf howleth), lu ulu
  • M m: Ursus múrmurat (The Bear grumbleth), mum mum
  • N n: Felis clamat (The Cat crieth), nau nau
  • O o: Auríga clamat (The Carter crieth), ó ó ó
  • P p: Pullus pipit (The Chicken pippeth), pi pi
  • Q q: Cucúlus cucúlat (The Cuckow singeth), kuk ku
  • R r: Canis ríngitur (The Dog grinneth), err
  • S s: Serpens síbilat (The Serpent hisseth),
  • T t: Gráculus clamat (The Jay crieth), tac tac [L&S: graculus = jackdaw]
  • U u: Bubo úlulat (The Owl hooteth), ú ú
  • W w: Lepus vagit (The Hare squeaketh),
  • X x: Rana coaxat (The Frog croaketh), coax
  • Y y: Ásinus rudit (The Asse brayeth), y y y
  • Z z: Tabánus dicit (The Breeze or Horse-fly saith), ds ds

[I've added the acute accents in ásinus and úpupa. Coáxat and tetrínnit don't need them.]

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.