Is there a term in Latin for an attack from all sides, similar to the English gauntlet? I need the translation to be as short-and-sweet as possible, as it's for a short title: The Gauntlet (that's it). A singular word for this would be much better than a multiple-term description.

The Romans seem to have considered an attack on all sides to be akin to flooding. The verb used is circumfundo -ere. See Lewis & Short. L.: circumfunduntur hostes, Cs.: equites ab lateribus circumfusi, L.: hostes undique circumfusi erant. Does this give you any ideas?
    – user1466
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 21:25
  • Modern usage of The Gauntlet, just for fun!
    – DukeZhou
    Commented May 8, 2018 at 20:17

2 Answers 2

Might I suggest undique. It's an adverb literally meaning "from all sides," and is quite often used in military contexts, such as the example below given from Lewis and Short:

from all parts, sides, or places, from every quarter, on all sides, on every part, everywhere: "ut undique uno tempore in hostes impetus fieret," Caes. B. G. 1, 22

• This certainly works for "from all sides," but I don't think it can be plugged into the OP's use case. Part of the confusion is that a "gauntlet" is pretty different from an "attack from all sides."
    – brianpck
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 20:13
  • @brianpck Yeah, I'm interpreting his want creatively. I think undique appropriately gets the idea of "from all sides" down with an implicit "attack" making sense in the book, though it's not a gauntlet per se. Gauntlet's also can mean "extreme trial," though, and if MSH is as young as I suspect he is, he might have Harry Potter on his mind.
    – cmw
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 20:46
    I put a comment up above before I saw this answer. In Livy & other authors there are constructions like this ablative absolute: "circumfuso undique equitatu" -- having been flooded on all sides by the cavalry. I wonder if something about this idea of flooding would be useful for the questioner's purpose. It's not a gauntlet idea at all, but these overwhelming attacks were the reason the army formed an "orbis" or a "testudo" for protection.
    – user1466
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 21:40
  • It's a good answer, @Palizsche, and I recommend turning it into a full answer instead of a comment.
    – cmw
    Commented May 6, 2017 at 15:43

A "gauntlet" (as in "running the gauntlet") refers to a specific form of punishment, whereby someone goes between two rows of men while being struck at.

A close Roman equivalent is the fustuarium (Wikipedia Article), which is:

a cudgelling to death, a military punishment for desertion or other capital offences

As far as I know, a gauntlet is more a form of punishment than execution, but this may still be a helpful starting point.

I must have read both Cicero's Philippics and Livy book 5 combined a dozen times, but this word, and what it actually means, never really stuck out. What an interesting (and gruesome) image!
    – cmw
    Commented Apr 27, 2017 at 20:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.