Suppose I have invited some friends for dinner and I want to say something before we eat. But I don't want to give a long speech. If I do this in English, I might start my last sentence with "without further ado" and then invite everyone to go get some food and eat. The Finnish phrase I would use ("pidemmittä puheitta") translates roughly to "without speaking any longer". Is there a similar phrase in Latin that indicates that the speaker wants to stop speaking and let everyone start doing what they came for? I am not familiar with any such phrase, and I don't quite know how to look for one in a dictionary.

+50

Seneca's Thyestes, line 705, has dimissa mora (as an ablative absolute: 'delay having been abandoned').

Update:

Or, even better yet, sticking with Seneca's tragedies, Medea line 281 has quid seris fando moras? 'Why do you sow delays by speaking?' (And line 54 has has rumpe iam segnes moras, 'Now break these sluggish delays.')

Additionally, Oedipus line 850 has veritas odit moras, 'Truth hates delays'; which could perhaps be adapted to something along the lines of cenae oderunt moras or daps odit moras – or, better, esuritio/fames odit moras.

Sed haec hactenus might be a useful phrase. Cicero ended at least a few of his letters to Atticus with this phrase. "But enough of these things."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.