Looking through the fantastically-titled Libro di M. Giovambattista Palatino cittadino romano : nelqual s'insegna à scriuer ogni sorte lettera, antica & moderna, di qualun que natione, con le sue regole, & misure, & essempi : et con vn breve et vtil discorso de le cifre by Palatino, I notice page 100 contains a spread of the Latin Alphabet ("ALPHABETICVM LATINORVM"). There is something decidedly odd about the letter choice however – note that the bottom line contains two almost-identical "Y" forms.

https://archive.org/stream/librodimgiovamba00pala#page/n99/mode/2up

Is there a historical reason for this? Were the letters pronounced differently?

(Also in p.74.) – Helen Apr 13 '17 at 15:07

I think that the two forms of the letter Y given on that page are purely aesthetic variations of the same character. It also makes the letter array a neat 6 × 4 array, like the Greek one on the other page of the specimen book. Palatino was a typographer, after all.

However, for a short time in antiquity, there were two different forms of the Y, the Y as we know it and a "short Y" Ⱶ introduced be emperor Claudius and not continued after his reign, see Examples of the use of Claudian letters (Ⅎ, Ↄ, Ⱶ)

Doubling a letter just to fill the array? Imho surely there were other ways or types for this... – Helen Apr 13 '17 at 15:00
    (E.g. the Greek table on the opposite page has one letter less on the last row but looks neat.) – Helen Apr 13 '17 at 15:06
    @Helen and on p. 72 a second "R" is used to fill the page beautifully. – jknappen Apr 13 '17 at 15:13
  • And some other tables have some more random repeated letters, it looks like. Hm... – Helen Apr 14 '17 at 5:08

I think jknappen is right: that extra Y isn't anything but a fancy Y. A few pages back (86/87), only one Y is mentioned.

There were two forms of the the Y in Greek, though. In fact, there were several. It's unfortunate that Lilian Jeffery's Local Scripts of Archaic Greece doesn't return a preview, but you can see a succinct chart under Cook's Greek Inscriptions.

Epichoric Alphabet Scripts

It wasn't until rather late that in its history that the Greek alphabet was standardized.

The variation in Y meant that the Romans borrowed the letter as V and then later reborrowed the letter, to represent the Greek vowel rather than their native one, as Y.

Not that this answers your specific query, but I mention it in case you stumble upon additional variations in the future.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.