Preface: Wiktionnaire's etymology supports U Texas's below, but Wiktionary's assigns to a different PIE root: *só. I am conjecturing that Wiktionary is incorrect.

[70% down the page]  conj if 
LRC [Linguistics Research Center, University of Texas, Austin]

I was reading this page on the PIE root *se- when I noticed the above; why was the 'sī' assigned to the PIE root *se (to Own, Possess)? I cannot see any semantic notions underlying the two.

1 Answer 1

The Proto-Indo-European root *se- is generally taken to have been a reflexive pronominal root meaning "self", i.e. indicating that a word refers to the same thing as some other word (De Vaan 2008, Philippa e.a. 2003-2009). The root *so- is a different pronominal/demonstrative root that was so far as I know not reflexive. So I would not trust Wiktionary here.

The Latin reflexive pronoun se is from Proto-Indo-European *se- (De Vaan). I wouldn't trust that page from the University of Texas too much: their "own, possess" seems speculative. Perhaps it was based on Pokorny, but I wouldn't depend on it either way.

According to De Vaan, Latin si and sic are from Proto-Indo-European *so-, as expected. I don't think there is any doubt about this. It is related to English so and many other reflexes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.