With the intent of translating this sentence to Latin, what case is the word "fame"?

migrated from english.stackexchange.com Mar 21 '17 at 8:42

This question came from our site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.

Welcome to the site! The title and the text ask different questions. Can you elaborate on what you really want to know and (which is very important) what your own thoughts are? – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 21 '17 at 11:33

In your title you ask if "fame" is a predicate nominative, and the answer to that question is no. A predicate nominative involves the linking of a noun with the subject via a copula (usually a form of "to be" or "to become").

Based on the body of your question, I suspect that your real question is what case would best be used to translate fame. The answer is that you have two options.

1. Same case as compared noun = nominative

Gloria melior est quam fama.

2. Ablative of comparison

Gloria famā melior est.

The two are both equally valid, though the ablative is often avoided in cases where ambiguity could arise. In this particular case, I would probably favor the first option because my ear isn't sensitive enough to vowel quantity to intuitively understand the second when spoken.

• To add to this, the two things being compared with quam always take the same case; ergo, gloria melior est quam fama but puto gloriam meliorem esse quam famam. – Anonym Mar 21 '17 at 22:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.