Odyssey A 56 goes thus:

αἰεὶ δὲ μαλακοῖσι καὶ αἱμυλίοισι λόγοισιν

I find it difficult to scan this verse. The word μᾰλᾰκός has two short syllables, which must be preceded by a long one; and yet δὲ cannot possibly be long. Or can it?

In addition, the beginning of the verse, αἰεὶ, must be two long syllables, which must be followed by a long syllable, and yet it is δὲ that follows.

There is a little-known rule of epic scansion in which, optionally, a word-initial sonorant (the nasals μ ν and the liquids ρ λ) may cause a preceding short vowel to scan long. Here's another example, Odyssey 18.399:

μνηστῆρες δ᾽ ὁμάδησαν ἀνὰ μέγαρα σκιόεντα

-- where the second syllable of ἀνά scans long because of the following μ-.

The explanation for this seems to be that some such words once began with an additional s- (sm- etc.), which was later lost. But the phenomenon is not limited to words that historically had s- (and those that did do not consistently show it), so it seems to have been expanded into a license to lengthen certain syllables when metrically necessary.

Indeed, I had searched for s and wau in the etymology of μᾰλᾰκός but found none. I am glad to have learned of this (possibly analogical) rule! Do you happen to know of a good place online (or elsewhere) to find more information about specific rules of Homeric metre? We learned a couple of rules at university, like disappeared s/wau and disyllabic words like eu, but I don't remember whence those came. – Cerberus Mar 21 '17 at 3:27
    @Cerberus, there are probably better references I'm not thinking of, but here is a page you might find useful. If you want to dig deeper, M. L. West's Greek Metre is worth reading, though he devotes more space to dramatic meters than to Homer. – TKR Mar 21 '17 at 3:42
  • Thanks, I saw West mentioned somewhere else; I'll see whether I can find it somewhere. (As you suggested, the link told me nothing new.) – Cerberus Mar 21 '17 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.