I would like to compare the two adjectives niveus and nivosus derived from nix, "snow". My prior understanding of these words was that niveus is "snow-white" and nivosus is "snowy", but L&S tells me that also niveus means "snowy".

My guess is that niveus means that there is snow without commenting on the amount, whereas nivosus means that there is a lot of snow. Is this guess correct?

Does some dictionary offer a comparison of these two adjectives? Is there some example (artificial if original ones are not available) that contrasts niveus and nivosus?

In general, the -osus ending indicates plenty. Lacrimosa isn't just "teary-eyed," but weepy. Same with nivosa. Niveus is often used with mountains to describe the snow-topped peaks, and from the quality of snow (i.e. whiteness), it is used to describe things in English we'd describe as "snow-white" - teeth, milk, togas, fleece (as in the old nursery rhyme). Nivosa, on the other hand, is used to describe places where there is a lot of snow - northern climates (Scythia is given as an example in L&S), wintry storms. You wouldn't describe your teeth as nivosus without some humorous characterization: face full of snow, perhaps, on account of a snowball.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.