I have a very good guess about how to say "perhaps" or "maybe". But I suspect there are several ways of saying it, with varying degrees of certainty. I wanted to get a better idea.

My guess is this.

fortasse (also fortassis , but rarely, and not in Caes.; [...])

I.perhaps, peradventure, probably, possibly:

A few questions.

• Is fortasse the best word to say "maybe" or "perhaps"?
  • Are fortasse and fortassis interchangeable?
  • What's the difference between forte, forsitan, and fortasse?
    Another related word is forsitan or (shortened) forsan – brianpck Mar 13 '17 at 19:42
  • @brianpck Thanks for the addition. I added forsitan to my question. – ktm5124 Mar 13 '17 at 19:44
    I think both fortasse and forsitan are right. If you are also expressing desire, there is utinam – Rafael Mar 13 '17 at 19:49
+50

forte (from fors, fortis, chance, luck etc.) simply means 'by chance'.

fortasse (sometimes fortassis) is a contraction from forte an sit, 'as it might chance to be', usually translated as 'perhaps', 'as it may be' etc.

Also found are fors sit an (often as one word) and its contraction forsan; and occasionally forsit (from fors sit).

Larger Latin-English dictionaries (almost invariably based on Freund's original Latin-German) all give examples of usage. The best choice for English into Latin is no more than a matter of style.

Is forte an sit > fortasse / fortassis following a standard pattern? It seems pretty non-intuitive to me. – brianpck Mar 13 '17 at 23:50
    @ktm5124 forte "by chance" means "maybe" in the following way: "Do you maybe have a second?" = "Do you by chance/perhaps have a second?" Use fortasse like, "Perhaps they will still come." – C. M. Weimer Mar 14 '17 at 1:38
    @ktm5124 But for fortasse and forsitan, I don't believe there is a real difference. Also, fortasse probably is not from forte an sit, but no one really knows what it should be. (Personally, I think there's an element of esse in there, but who knows.) Otherwise, Tom's right, it's largely a matter of style. – C. M. Weimer Mar 14 '17 at 2:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.