From the genitive 'Delphōrum', it seems to belong to the second declension. But is it used as a singular or a plural?

It is indeed a second declension word. It is used in the plural. You can confirm this on the Lewis and Short dictionary:

Delphi , orum, m., Δελφοί,

I.the famous city of the oracle of Apollo in Phocis, now Kastri

Understandably, the word comes from Greek, being a Greek city and all. The Greek word, Δελφοί, is also used in the plural.

Δελφοί , ῶν, οἱ,

A.Delphi

Thus, the Romans probably used the plural because the Greeks did themselves. This is true of many Greek cities. Ἀθῆναι > Athenae > Athens. Θῆβαι > Thebae > Thebes.

Any insight into why the Greeks did that? Certainly seems odd to my (modern, natively-English-speaking) ear... – KRyan Mar 13 '17 at 3:34
    Regarding Athens, etymonline.com says that Athens is "plural because the city had several distinct parts". etymonline.com/index.php?term=Athens. – ktm5124 Mar 13 '17 at 3:55
    I wonder if the -s in the English "Athens" and "Thebes" is a plural. Just one Athen or Thebe doesn't make a city? – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 13 '17 at 6:55
  • @JoonasIlmavirta I think so! That would be my guess. But I have no sources to back me up. – ktm5124 Mar 13 '17 at 20:21
  • @KRyan >Certainly seems odd to my (modern, natively-English-speaking) ear... Remember that when you happen to be in Pacific Palisades, Cal. – Dario Mar 14 '17 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.