I noticed that many online places where Latin could be spoken are dead (unlike the language itself).

Where can I practice Latin online? Is there any chat or forum that is really active?

• Welcome to the site! Is any Latin forum or chat good for you, or are there some restrictions? – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 4 '17 at 14:20
    One tip to improve your question: the question in the title ("largest community") is pretty different from the two questions in the body ("active community" and "where can I practice?"). I assume you are asking for any good online Latin-speaking communities? – brianpck Mar 4 '17 at 21:45
  • reddit.com/r/latin is always open to communicating in Latin. We actually have two weekly Latin-only topics, the one for casual conversation and the other for more advanced composition. – Anonym Mar 6 '17 at 23:29
  • The old places closed down or are inactive, and as of now, I don't know of very many communities I would recommend that still uses forum or chat technology, though you must be able to find something on Facebook (I assume, I don't have it myself). – C. M. Weimer Mar 7 '17 at 2:03
  • I second @JoonasIlmavirta. Why don't you try using our chat room? It's quite accessible - you could be there in two minutes - and a good bet for practicing Latin. – ktm5124 Mar 10 '17 at 3:24

This is not a full answer, but I can't resist giving it. If you can specify your question, you are likely to get more specific answers.

The online Latin community I suggest is this site. As you have no doubt noticed, our main working language is English and the user interface is in English, but using Latin to ask and answer questions is always allowed. If you browse through the questions on this site, you will come across some Latin ones — but admittedly only a small fraction. And beware: this site is not for free form discussion, but for questions and answers.

The site also has a part for more free discussion: our chat room. Participating requires earning some reputation on this main site, but you have already passed that threshold with this question. Again, the chat is mostly English, but Latin is more frequent there than elsewhere. And all users there know Latin, more or less, so feel free to drop in and say hi in Latin anytime. The chat activity level varies greatly, because only a small number of users are active chatters. Don't be afraid to write if no one is there; someone entering the room and writing something is how discussions usually start.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.